New findings from Virgin Mobile reveal that:
• Latest figures from the MDA reveal that over 100 million text messages are sent every single day in the UK alone
• 3.8 million British mobile phone users suffer from text-related injuries
• 38% people suffer from sore wrists and thumbs from texting
• Virgin Mobile link up with the British Chiropractic Association to help prevent Text Message Injury ( TMI )
• Visit www.practisesafetext.com for further information
Sensible advice• If texting starts to hurt. Stop. Use the other hand or call instead
• Vary the hand you use
• Vary the digits you use
• Don’t text for more than a few minutes without a break
Stop these exercises if you feel any pain otherwise you can do more harm than good.
In your texting hand: -
• Tap each finger with the thumb of the same hand. Repeat x 5
• Pull your thumb firmly with the other hand. Repeat x 5
• Wrap an elastic band around the tips of fingers and thumb and open your hand against the resistance. Repeat x 20
• Palms down wrap an elastic band around each thumb and force apart. Repeat x 20
• Tap the palm and back of your hand on your thigh as quickly as you can. Repeat x 20
• Massage thumb web, back of forearm and front of forearm. 2 minutes.
• Press and rub in a circular motion the painful nodules in those muscles. 30 seconds for each nodule.
• Reach up high with both arms and shake your hands. Reach down low with both arms and shake. Repeat x 3.
• Arms at 45 degrees squeeze them behind you.
• If it still hurts after a week of doing exercises wrap an ice pack on sore hand and arm parts. Do not put ice directly on the skin but wrap in a thin cloth or piece of kitchen roll. 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Repeat x 3.
Studies have found that smoking makes you perceive pain more intensely. The use of tobacco seems to have some effect on the nervous system by increasing perceptions and sensations of pain. Quitting smoking can be tremendously benefitting. Smoketip is an electronic cigartette which does not use tobacco. Read a few of the SmokeTip reviews here and see how users quit tobacco smoking.
Thumb Pain And The Danger Of Text Message Injurywww.ergonomictimes.com/article.php?...6...ThumbPain - United StatesArticle: Thumb Pain And The Danger Of Text Message Injury.
- au.ibtimes.com/.../text-neck-thumb-injury-common-smartph... - Australia6 Dec 2011 – There have been an increasing number of cases of smartphone users suffering various strain ailments related to using their devices.
- www.arnnet.com.au/tag/text_thumb_injury/5 Dec 2011 – News about text thumb injury ... as increasing numbers of the tech savvy are coming down with ailments from "text neck" to "text thumb injury". ...
- www.repetitivestraininjuriestreatment.com/repetitive-strain-injury-an...Mobile phones, are used for sending scores of text messages each day. This involves people using the thumb to operate the keypad. This action is done.
- www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thumb%20injurybuy texter's thumb mugs, tshirts and magnets. When an individual suffers repetitive strain injury (RSI) in the first digit of the hand (thumb) from excessive text ...
- www.computerworld.com.au/.../smartphone_users_starting_feel_pain...5 Dec 2011 – Users of smartphones and tablet computers are coming down with ailments from "text neck" to "text thumb injury"
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_thumbOveruse of the thumb to operate a mobile device may lead to BlackBerry thumb. BlackBerry thumb is a neologism that refers to a form of repetitive strain injury caused by .... Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-
- health.asiaone.com/Health/News/Story/A1Story20111215.../2.html15 Dec 2011 – University Malaya Medical Centre senior lecturer and hand surgeon Dr Ravindran Thuraisingham said ailments from "text thumb injury" and ...
- www.textually.org/textblog/mt_search.php?IncludeBlogs=1...Medical professionals have long warned about the dangers of swollen thumbs and repetitive strain injuries among teens who text too much. Too much texting is ...
- ph.news.yahoo.com/smartphone-addicts-starting-feel-pain... - Philippines2 Dec 2011 – ... starting to get high-tech blues, as increasing numbers of the tech savvy are coming down with ailments from "text neck" to "text thumb injury".